Thursday, July 3, 2008

Back to China and why you should always pack apple juice.

I work at Methodist Health System. I am the director of marketing to the older adults. I like to plan big events with lots of people doing lots of things. In 2004, I had one of my biggest events happening in September. I don't know how a pregnant woman feels, but I got a gut feeling we would be traveling to China the day of the event and I was right! It was the first time I had ever left something this big in someone else's hands. I had a wonderful person working for me, Erika. Bless her heart. She would not have it any way but to leave her in charge and go to China!

Jana, Gillian (who was then 7), Darcey (who was 3), and I (I was about 21 I think. Just kidding) began the LLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG journey to China. We had received another special gift from my cousin Mike. He provided enough of his frequent flyer miles to cover the trip from DFW to LA. Thank you Mike!!

When we got to LAX our plane was scheduled to leave at midnight, which was about 7 hours away. We made little pallets for the girls (although I think we wanted to lay down more than they did) and Jana grabbed my wrist with sheer terror in her eyes. "We have forgotten baby cat". I immediately started trying to sort out how we could get this nasty little stuffed animal fedexed to Darcey in China. Thankfully we made it without too many tears when Darcey realized it.

When we got to Guangzhou on Monday morning, we had missed our flight to Nanchang, Jiangxi. So we had another day of sitting in the airport. This is where I got a glimpse of how prepared and familiar Jana felt with China. We found a noodle shop/restaurant, whatever. They handed us menus only in Chinese and Jana began to order. Soon we had big bowls of steaming noodles and a kleenex as a napkin. She also found a place for us to exchange our money, call home, and the restrooms.

We finally got to Nanchang, where it was cold and rainy, checked into the hotel, and Jana announced she was headed to a department store to buy apple juice for Darcey. You know Harrod's has their food hall and Neiman's has the Zodiac Room, but I did not know you could buy apple juice at a department store. Most of all, I did not know how Jana even knew where we were much less how she knew there was a department store around the corner that sold apple juice. But since Darcey didn't have baby cat, she had to have her apple juice to go to sleep and off the two of them went. I tried to distract Gillian, the entire time wondering what can I do if they don't return.

Pretty soon, she comes back, soaked from the rain, holding Darcey, who had lost a shoe somewhere, and a bag with apple juice and other snacks.

I'm not sure if the night before you deliver a baby is as anxious as the night before you adopt, but after little sleep, the next morning we went to the Civil Affairs Office. After what felt like an eternity, in walked some people, followed by a tiny girl holding a HUGE stuffed dog.

Now I don't know what most people think when they first see their babies, but I was much too practical in those days and all I could think of was having to buy a ticket to get that dog home!

Grace was so cute and all dressed up in clothes her Chinese foster sister bought her. She must have had a million clippies, barrettes, and pony tails, along with jeans and a t shirt with sequins. A quick hug and onto paperwork.

The rest of the time in China consisted of Grace leading Gillian, or the other way around, Jana following pushing the stroller, and me carrying Darcey bringing up the rear.

There are so many memories and in hindsight, lots of things I wish I had done differently. But I doubt I have learned and will make the same mistakes this time.

All I know is that Grace is the best thing that ever happened in my life. I soon felt the urge to provide a sister for Grace.

No comments: