Monday, July 28, 2008

Grace being big sister to her big sister

Grace and Wan Yun are sharing a shower. Grace is showing her how to lather, rinse, repeat! It is too funny hearing Grace instruct her sister on how to do the basics. When Wan Yun first looked at the bathroom she told ShuWan, no thank you, she didn't like toilets like that. Preferred the squatty potties. I had her explain that's the only kind we have! Not the squatty potties, regular thrones!!

Grace and Wan Yun spent the rest of the afternoon playing a variety of games, play doh, making bead necklaces, and gave me a chance to try to get rid of my headache. Of all things I did not pack an advil or tylenol! Only advil pm.

We had dinner downstairs in the restaurant. A buffet of amazing treats to these 2. Fried crab was Wan Yun's favorite and the duck was Grace's. Good luck on getting Grandmom to prepare either. I'm not sure she had ever seen salt and pepper shakers and was just so amazed at them.

Everyone finished with mango pudding that was immediately labeled as too sour! Ice cream was a second choice. Toothpicks were used to become elephants and a variety of other animals.

Wan Yun knows her ABC's in English, counting to 10, counting to 100 in Chinese, which she did at the top of her lungs in the cab, then complained that her throat hurt.

Had to do a quick inspection of the famous Locke hair towel wrap up that has now been passed to Wan Yun.

If you notice I keep changing her name about it is because she has asked us to call her by her Chinese name, but Grace just keeps calling her Annie. Showed her how to spell it today and she copied it perfectly.

While they were in the shower I took a sneak peak into her backpack they sent with her. I thought I might find some extra somethings. Instead there are a couple of apples, 3 of which she had to wash and made us eat earlier (please don't let this stuff make me sick!) and a package of some nuts that really stink.

There are no clothes at all, no socks, no shoes, no underwear, no shorts, shirts, NOTHING!

I can't thank you enough to those who provided gifts of money to buy needed things. This poor child had nothing. I wonder what is going through her mind tonight being on a whirlwind of a whole new life. She was concerned that she should wash her pink dress. I will have to get the guide to explain that we will send it out to be laundered. No way am I tackling something like that in a sink.

I know Grace has to be exhausted from waking up at 3:00 so I am insisting on an early evening. Showers, then a movie, and lights out for them. Our regular guide, Guilan, will be here at 9:00 tonight to help with paperwork that needs to be completed.

Many of you know I received very stern warnings from several who told me to spend a lot of time with her before I decided to adopt because of problems from her past. I guess I would need a lot longer to see any significant problems. Her only problem seems to be a lack of long term love, guidance and family!

OK, size 12, way too big! New pajamas are falling off!

Thank you for your prayers and keep them up. If the rest of life could be as easy as today, we will be fine.

1 comment:

Holly said...

LOVE the sister shower! Co-bathing is a great way to bond. Lotioning her is a great tool, too. My latest had never had lotion before and LOVED it. Mom's kind hands providing such comfort. You are a great mom, Jerri! Size 12. I would have guessed a 7/8 and maybe a 10. Show us a full length shot of her standing up beside Grace. (or you! 0r both!) You can buy ibuprofen in the pharmacies and department stores (such as Wal-Mart). Ask your guide to help you, or visit the pharmacy and motion headache and write out the word ibuprofen. The pills are EXACTLY like the ones I buy in the US. Good luck! Be sure Annabel knows they are for Mom only. My youngest has a SEVERE allergy to the class of drugs that ibuprofen is in. I won't give NSAIDS to any of my girls. Too scary. I am so happy to see this wonderful girl in her family at last! Thanks for taking the time to post. Love from Colorado -Holly (mom to 3 from Jiangxi)