Tuesday, July 1, 2008

I've got to get started somewhere!


Today did not start out like any other day. I was asleep on the couch as my bed was being shared by my two nieces. I woke up to Ollie, the dog, poking his nose into my face and snorting. It was obviously time to get up and go outside. Next came Darcey, my niece, to make sure I got up for my important phone call.

Darcey was going to be my back up alarm, since I couldn't hear mine in my bedroom. I assured her I was awake and to go back to sleep. When I looked at the time I knew I had to stay awake or I would miss my conference call from New York to work out the details on our trip to China. I was hoping to know the consulate appointment date, then I could make some definite plans.

After a cup of coffee, yogurt, and playing solitaire to ensure I was awake, I patiently waited until 8:00 a.m. For the next two hours we went over the Travel Approval packet. It had to be the mos thorough preparation I have received for traveling.

But I still don't have a consulate date. For those who have not done this, your consulate date is with the American Consulate in Guangzhou, Guangdong China. At that time your child receives their visa and a brown envelop you hand to the immigration officials wherever you land. That envelop holds the critical documents making your child a citizen, as soon as they touch US soil.

Your consulate appointment is usually the last bit of paperwork of about two years of gathering paper. From there you can go home and know your child has all the same rights and privileges you do.

The most I could find out today is the plan to ask for an August 4 Consulate date. From there you work back for about 2 weeks to determine when you will leave. If all goes as planned, we should leave for China on or about 7/26.

My niece is crying again and it is late and my first try, so I will add more tomorrow.

1 comment:

Aunt Lisa said...

Who's crying and why? Lucky you, Ollie in the face first thing! Or was that Nina... Anyway, exciting news! I wish I could go with you. ;)
ps - you need me or Marcie to spice up this blog!