Saturday, July 12, 2008

We are finally going to China, 2 weeks from today/yesterday?







To update you on our trip!






My emails to the contact at Gladney finally went through when he was in Khatmandu (?), rather than in Nepal. The very fact that my written words reached someone in a city I have only heard about still amazes me!




Anyway, I finally got an email that he felt like the itinerary we planned was fine. So I emailed my travel agent, but got no response. I emailed a courier service in Houston about processing Grace's passport and our visas, with no response, so I still don't know much.




I tried to make an appointment to go to Houston for Monday morning at 8:30. Seemed that would be a good time, but then I remembered you had to have proof of your trip to get an appointment. I really don't have the time to travel to Houston, but if the courier is too expensive I don't see where I have a choice.




When I was waiting to adopt Grace, the adoption agency, her orphanage, and their China contact all urged me to send packages to her, letters, pictures, etc. I sent them often. I was sure we were bonding long distance I think. I guess I treated it like she was off at camp and would expect a care package ever week or so. I had no idea she was not receiving the packages, only some of the pictures.




This time there has not been an opportunity to send stuff ahead of time. They did not want me to send things until I received my LOA (letter of approval to adopt Hong Wan Yun), which was just within the last month. I've found a group that will call the orphanage and get an update on size, etc., as well as ask her some questions. You can also send a care package by them. I did get this taken care of today, but can't figure out how to post my pictures for them to print and share with her.




Right now the plans are for us to leave Friday, July 25, late evening, at LA via American Airlines. From LA to Hong Kong via Cathay Pacific arrive Sunday morning, then a Chinese equivalent to Southwest airlines from Hong Kong to Nanchang, which is where Hong Wan Yun is and where Grace is from.




We wanted to stay at the new Galactic Peace Hotel, but the guide had already made reservations for us at the Gloria Plaza because they will give her a room right next door to us. That way I have a 24 hour a day translator on duty. This makes me feel much better about everything.

1 comment:

Marcie said...

I can't put my finger on why... but she looks familiar!
We are so excited for you! Unfortunately, we will be in Missouri when you leave, but we will be here when you get back!