Saturday, July 26, 2008

For someone who doesn't understand how TV works, this really blows my mind!

8:21 a.m. Sunday morning, Hong Kong airport! When we touched down after 14 hours at 5:?? a.m., they announced you could turn on your cell phones. I thought, why not? Mine immediately updated my emails! I mean I am on a runway halfway around the world and my email finds me!

By the time we ever left Dallas, I think we felt we were world travelers! It just seemed so foreign to be setting off on this type of excursion by ourselves.

When we landed in LA, after a very educational flight for Grace, I had a glimpse into the past of Jana, Gillian, Darcey, Grace, and I are the last leg of our journey home, waiting hours for our red eye flight. I'm not sure if it was the same terminal but seemed so familiar. Sorry, very tired and a bit melancholy at this point.

God must look down and send angels to guide us through our journeys. I'm not sure if that is scriptural, but how do you explain finding 2 seats together by a woman who took such a kind interest in Grace that she told about meeting one of the astronauts, explained jet stream, discussed pros and cons of being a vet, both pet doctor and military person. She pointed out sights in LA as we touched down. Grace was so animated and loved every minute of the flight.

Grace kind of freaks out each time we go through security, removing shoes, digging through our things, etc. I tried to delay it as long as I could to go through the international terminal, but it ended up the worst. Long lines, no air circulating. Then horrors, her bag was pulled from the scanner. They went through her personals (at 10 a very big issue) and confiscated her toothpaste and hand lotion from her cousin Marcie. I wanted to cry for her. She was so devastated to lose it after it had passed in DFW. She wants me to pay Marcie back since they were new.

We flew overseas on Cathay Pacific. Our first time to try it and first impressions were horrible. They had one tiny, cramped area for their gate. You had to find your seat number to get into a line to get on. Once you did that - you are put out onto the tarmac where you catch an extended bus that makes you think of the trains in Tokyo, so crowded and no other group believes in deodorant! The wildest bus ride I have ever had. Going around the runways. Felt like I was on the bus from Speed!

Finally stop and climb on the plane.

We are stuck in the 2 middle seats of a plane with 3 seats, 4 in the middle and then 3 more. We had the very 2 in the middle in the middle of a huge block of seats. An older man had taken up residence on the aisle and would not budge for us to climb over him. He began to take off articles of clothing, shoes, socks, feet propped up on the back of the other seat and adjusting other items. I looked at the flight attendant with fear in my eyes and begged for us to be moved. I was willing to do whatever it took to get us out of those seats!

Again, we were blessed and the flight attendant motioned for us to come with him. There were 3 seats by the galley, just for us. Thank you Lord! You might think I am overly dramatic on this point, but I am so claustrophobic anyway, I would have to be treated for an anxiety attack if I was squashed in the middle!

At 2:20 A.M. Dallas time, Grace finally crashed. Right before dinner was served.

Some slight adjustments and she was out for a long time.

But when you have 14 hours, you can sleep for a long time, but still have a long time to go!

When she woke up her last meal had been a half a hamburger back in Dallas. But she is such a trooper and wouldn't admit she was hungry. Cathay Pacific though had cups of noodles, sandwiches, and other snacks, so we didn't go hungry.

My sleep felt like sitting in a classroom or church, the whole broken neck syndrome! If you have a child laying across the 3 seats, it doesn't leave you with much room to relax!

Sometime during the flight I think it finally hit me what we are doing and again felt panic! Adding Grace to my life was initially such a huge change, but I think I continued to focus on me and how I was reacting to it. But when ou have been blessed by such a wonderful daughter as Grace you feel that anything is possible. The huge difference she has made in all of our lives makes the shift from me to "we".

Thank you all for your prayers. We still have about 2 hours before we can board the flight from Hong Kong to Nanchang and if possible will close my eyes. You can purchase time in a lounge that provides food, Internet, showers, for $53 US for adults, and 26.50 for kids. VERY TEMPTING! Instead we are on nubby orange chairs with the world circling around us, all with steaming bowls of noodles being enjoyed!

Thank you each for your prayers, emails, gifts, so many great things. Will update when I can.
Jerri

1 comment:

Holly said...

So exciting!!!!! I love every word! I am still praying my prayers of thanks for your safety, health, peace, and ease of travel. Can't wait to read more! Love from Colorado, Holly (your fellow Nanchang Mama)